Message from the VPOF
When I first joined McMaster, I was in awe of the beauty of the campus: the green space, the beautiful buildings, and the sense of history here. While I’m still struck by its beauty every time I come to work, I’m now most in awe of the people here. Those who work at McMaster love McMaster and are dedicated to ensuring it is a safe, fun and caring place to work, learn and teach.
I want to continue building on this great work. The truth is that the academic and research mission of the university cannot be achieved without high-functioning and collaborative operations: we are the backbone of this university. Whether you work in Human Resources, Financial Services, Facility Services, University Technology Services, Security and Parking Services, Housing and Conference Hospitality Services, Legal Services, the Campus Store, Media Production Services, or somewhere in between, the university depends on all of us to do our jobs well.
So thank you to all of the staff who are always looking for ways to better achieve operational excellence and who do their best every day for McMaster’s students, faculty and staff.
Information Box Group
Mission, Vision and Values
We enable the success of our community by supporting teaching, research and operational excellence. We do this by fostering an inclusive culture of innovation, community engagement and collaboration.
We aspire to be a global leader in the delivery of integrated, seamless and sustainable solutions to provide our community with the talent, resources and experiences necessary to excel in an ever-changing world.
Curiosity, Accountability, Quality, Empathy, Teamwork, Inclusiveness, Integrity
Governance and Accountability
Governance and Accountability
The VP (Operations and Finance) establishes performance goals on an annual basis. These goals reflect strategic priorities within her areas of responsibility in support of the University’s mission. These goals are established following discussions between the President and the VP and are reviewed and formally approved by the Human Resources Committee of the Board of Governors. A summary of the agreed performance goals are provided to the Board of Governors on an annual basis.
- Through supporting AVP and Chief Human Resources Officer (CHRO), ensure a culture of respect and inclusion is embedded in our hiring practices as well as in our employee support practices.
- Ensure policies, procedures and best practices are in place to support equity, diversity and inclusion for all employee-related matters.
- Continue to focus on sustainability and environmental leadership.
- Work with AVP and Chief Technology Officer (CTO) to ensure digital technologies are in place and are fully functional to support hybrid teaching and learning.
- Continue to support the development the Campus Master Plan through input from the entire campus and broader community.
- Provide support in making campus a living lab.
- Through the AVP and Chief Financial Officer (CFO) continue to execute the plan to progress our approach to responsible investing.
- Support the development of the Global NEXUS initiative, working in collaboration with MIP and the VP Research
- Build connections and alignment with McMaster Innovation Park (MIP) in support of the research ecosystem, and local and regional economic growth and development.
- Reach out, meet and engage City Staff and local politicians in representing McMaster as a City Builder and lead negotiations on important topics.
- Continue to reach out to McMaster’s Academic Community to understand their needs and use their feedback to work toward improving university operations.
- Working with all four Assistant Vice-Presidents, focus on modernizing and enhancing administrative processes and procedures, including those related to HR operations and IT upgrades.
- Advance the development of the Alternative Revenue Strategy for the University, including developing the real estate portfolio, research commercialization initiative and a sustainable and financially responsible development plan for MIP.